The Beta Montecarlo Turbo Group 5 was Lancia's answer to the Porsche 935. With a 1.4L Turbo engine producing 470bhp in the later seasons. Despite the 935 having 800bhp, the Lancia went on to beat the 935 on numerous occasions in 1980 like the 1-2 finishes at Brands Hatch, Mugello and Watkins Glen. Abarth developed a larger engine for the 1981 season to chase down the much more powerful Porsche's. The new engine was upgraded to a 1.7L which was twin turbocharged to 520 bhp. Unfortunately this version was never fully developed as Lancia's focus shifted towards the new Group C regulations that would come into force in 1982. Lancia went on to win the 1979 World Championship for Makes (under 2-litre class), overall for 1980 World Championship for Makes and 1981 World Endurance Championship for Makes. This dominating fashion has made the Beta Montecarlo Turbo Group 5 one of the greatest Lancia racing cars.
Chassis Numbers and History
Below is a selection of the cars that were used by the Factory team on World Championship events.
Chassis 1009 was built for the 1981 season by the factory Martini team. The cars first appearance was at the 24H of Daytona with Michele Alboreto/Beppe Gabbiano/Piercarlo Ghinzani where the car retired. The next race was the Mugello 6 hrs with Alboreto and Ghinzaniwhere the finished 3rd but were later disqualified for changing the gearbox casing. 1000km of Monza was next with Ghinzani and Andrea de Cesaris where they had to pit while leading after a fuel pump failure. 1000km of Nürburgring was next with Patrese and Cheever. The car won its class and finished 8th overall at the 24 Hours of Le Mans with Cheever, Alboreto and Facetti. For 1982 the race was raced by the Vesuvio racing team at Monza, Silverstone, Nürburgring, Le Mans, Spa, Mugello and Brands Hatch. The car was then on display at Musée du Lugano from 1983 to 1993.